Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My cummins n14 cranks but wont start, only with starting f

Customer Question

my cummins n14 cranks but wont start, only with starting fluid
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. First check that the check engine light comes on with the key on and cycles with the key. If not the ECM is not communicating from either a loss of power and ground to the ECM ( check the ECM fuse and inline harness between the battery box and ECM for a blow fuse or corroded or poor connections) or failed ECM. If ok and the check engine light is on, check for low coolant or a low coolant sensor/harness problem which would likely throw a fault code. Check for fault codes using the cruise set resume switches. IGN/Key on, cruise off, hold set resume switch until check engine light flashes. Count the flashes with short pauses in between each digit for the 3 digit flash code and a longer 2 second pause between codes. It will repeat until you turn off the switch. Another thing to check is for power to the fuel shut off solenoid from the ECM. If there is power there you could have a bad solenoid but if no power you could have an ECM problem as stated above or an engine position sensor that is bad not telling the ECM the engine is turning over to signal the ECM to power up the fuel solenoid. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi,i checked all the things you mentioned, solenoid its got power, position sensor its about 6 months old, the truck cranks and when i spray starting fluid it starts and runs normal, every 5-10 min or so its got like a hick up , where it wants to shut off for a sec then runs normal again. Theres a code that comes once in a while with the check engine ICU 140, but doesnt stay on, another thing i saw, the fuel filter filter is about half way empty when i shut the truck off, i also replaced the check valve on the ecm cooling plate
Hi Thanks for the update. I was out of town for the weekend with family.If you are positive the check valve is ok, run a line direct to the fuel pump and bypass the entire system. If the problem persists after that check your fuel pump or replaced.If the problem goes away bypassed then work backwards hooking up the separate line up to the inlet to the ecm cooling plate to narrow it down to a fuel pump, restriction, or other problem. This wi remove the guess work if there is no psi while cranking.
Minimum Cranking Fuel PressurekPapsiCELECT or CELECT Plus17225Minimum Fuel PressurekPapsiDuring Cranking172251200 rpm827120Governed rpm1034 to(###) ###-####to 180 Inlet restriction to the pump is 6-10 inhg max. with 6 being the best. If the fuel press specs are off and there are no restrictions, leaks, etc replace the pump