Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

We have a kenworth box truck with cat 3126 engine. It will stop running on its own and wo

Customer Question

We have a kenworth box truck with cat 3126 engine.
It will stop running on its own and won't restart until waiting 30 plus min. After waiting it runs fine until the next time it cuts off
May be hours or days. We had mechanic diagnose possible cam speed sensor ? He said it connects to the fuel injectors and is preventing fuel flow causing the shut down. Does this make any sense and how difficult is it to replace the sensor.
I know i am not giving u much to go on but thanks 4 your help
Regards
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
There are many things that can cause an engine to do this. It can be caused by the engine speed timing sensors, the engine ECM, or the injection actuation pressure system.
Does the yellow of red engine warning light come on just before the engine shuts down?
Do you know if there are any codes in the ECM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Driver said the "red" service engine soon light came on and the engine started sputtering,
rpm's fluctuating before it shut down.
They did pull codes, but the tech that wrote them down is at lunch. I will send those as soon as he gets back in.
Thank You.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Having the codes will help narrow down the problem. Let me know what codes he found.