Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Cat c12 - 2KS58061, 335 HP in FLD120SD running hot when under

Customer Question

Cat c12 - 2KS58061, 335 HP in FLD120SD running hot when under a load
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
I would suspect the radiator is partially restricted on the inside. I have seen this many times. When this happens, the engine will begin running hot under heavy loads. Unfortunately flushing out the system does not help 90% of the time. The radiator must be removed and sent to a radiator shop.
Pulling the thermostat normally causes the engine to run hotter rather than cooler. The reason is without a thermostat, the coolant is not forced through the radiator, it is allowed to go right back in the engine through the bypass.
I would not suspect the water pump. If it was the problem, the engine would overheat all the time. Not just under heavy loads.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.