spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I have a silver eagle bus with 8v71. We were headed to

Customer Question

Hi. I have a silver eagle bus with 8v71. We were headed to Arizona this past weekend when the engine just shut down. We had no signs of any problems as the engine has always ran great. There is no oil coming from anywhere and the engine cranks normally. But it will not start nor feels like it has any compression when cranking. Almost sounds like the engine is not getting any fuel. I checked the fuel filters and they were full. Also took a line off secondary filter and cranked. The fuel pump was shooting fuel. Shot some ether and still no fire. Also primed injectors with electric fuel pump and still nothing. Just cranks freely as almost the engine has no load at all what do you think? Also fuel cutoff piston is moving in and out when ignition is turned on. So the fuel shutoff seems to be working at least from the outside. No telling under the valve covers.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the skinner valve and it seems to be operating correctly from the outside of the engine. Not sure about internally as I know a pin could have slipped out of the injector rack
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry for delay.
You may also have a broken blower drive shaft which would keep engine from getting any air.
Remove intake piping or air horn pluming, have someone crank engine and see if blower is turning,,if its not turning most likely broken drive shaft or splines stripped.
If okay remove a valve cover and make sure rack is going to full fuel with shutdown solenoid off and throttle full.
Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am headed to the bus In the morning. What wood cause a broken blower drive shaft? Also is it very hard to repair one other question is. Do I just remove the blower horn to get to that particular part I need to see ? Thank you for your time once again. It seems as if no one could give a straight answer when concerning a 8v71 Detroit
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
This was one of the first engines I worked on a long time ago, early in my career.
Broken blower drives was a common problem or stripped splines on drive,,just age or a blower issue,,I would bet just age since it was running fine.
Blower drive is run off a gear on back of engine,,there will be a 5 bolt cover (kinda like a star shape) you remove to get to drive shaft,,not a big job. Don't need to remove horn.
There is only a couple bolts for valve cove removal and gasket can be reused.
Copy and paste this link to open in new tab to view drive shaft.
http://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel-5117725-blower-shaft-for-8v71-16v71.html#.VZvEUEZew8I
If you have problems let me know
A rating is required. You’re rating my personal service to you, not Just Answer. I am not an employee of this website, nor do
I have control over the fees or the time it took for you to get a response. I respond as soon as I see the questions in the order
that I receive them when I am online.
You may still follow up after rating if needed.
Thanks spanky