Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

I have a 96 international 9400 eagle and have had some a/c

Customer Question

I have a 96 international 9400 eagle and have had some a/c issues. The compressor stopped working so I put a new one on along with a new dryer. The a/c worked a few days and quit. We put a new expansion valve in and a new condenser. It still wouldn't take a charge and showing 90 lbs. that indicates a bad compressor because the pressure is the same as the outside air temp on the low side. I don't know what the high side is because I don't have the fitting in the truck for the high side. I just put on a new compressor and drier on again and a new hose because one had a leak. Flushed the system and pulled a vacuum for an hr. It stayed at -28 lbs so I closed the valve turned off the pump and let it sit for 30 minutes. It still was at -28 lbs. I then began charging it. It took the first can and the can was getting cold and it showed 12 lbs. I began putting in the second can and it rose to 40 lbs quickly still this can started to get cold. Suddenly the can warmed up and the pressure jumped to 90 lbs. now the entire system is hot and I can't figure out what is wrong. I am assuming the compressor took a crap again but why.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I signed up for hearing something quickly I'm kinda in a bind and need some help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hooked up high side it's at 150 and low side at 100 with can hooked up but 60 without can hooked up
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi My name is Andy !
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tc057804
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ! Is you compressor clutch engaging currently ? Have you checked your hvac filter to see if it is plugged ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clutch is engaging and running all the time I am worried high pressure switch is bad and not kicking it off and that's why it messed up compressor. I did pull this new compressor off and checked it, it's still pumping so the rcv is not bad. I have a brand new dryer on it if that's what you are calling a filter. There is no in line filter not real sure what you are referring to there. I am wondering if maybe my evap is clogged and maybe sending trash through and stopped up my expansion valve. Getting a new evap and expansion valve tomorrow
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Do you want electrical diagrams? I believe I have them ! And it shows opening and closing pressures of switches in the system !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It couldn't hurt
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61cjdlge9t3zs61/air%20c.png?dl=0
Here is the diagram ! It shows the pressure switches , their locations and when they open and close . I would compare to the pressures on the gauges and see if they are working as they should be .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see what's on there the print is blurry.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I've tried to clear it up . Is this better ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/igj3ehc5ydr7yl9/ac222.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still can't see it but I have a new evap and expansion valve coming today so hopefully that will fix it
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I can try and resize it for you later today in two halves if you wish
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Thank for your patience
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
How is this ? Any better ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9zcimx1j3methj/air%20c%2022.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I will just see what happens when I put the new parts on when they come in
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I would also replace the receiver /dryer too since it is the filter of the system . There may be some shrapnel in there from previous problems .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Looking for an update ! Any luck ? Do you need anything ? Let me know ! Thanks !
Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end of this session . That is the only way that I am rewarded on here . Thank you .