Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

My c-15 cat engine check light, then the shut down light came

Customer Question

My c-15 cat engine check light, then the shut down light came on. The flash code showed 62. Low coolant level? The radiator is full. I unplugged the low coolant sensor (4wire plug) and the check engine and shutdown lights went out.will it hurt to run temporarily with the sensor unplugged?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me! I will try and help you out.
No. It will not hurt the engine at all to unplug the coolant level sensor. Since the level is full, I'm sure you have a bad coolant level sensor. Sometimes you can just remove and clean the probe on them and they will go back to working like they should. The problem most often is just a build up of gunk on the probe.
Just make sure to keep an eye on the engine temp and keep a check on the coolant level. You will be fine.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.