Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

2009 INTERNATIONAL CF500, GETTING ENGINE FAULT " STARTER

Customer Question

2009 INTERNATIONAL CF500, GETTING ENGINE FAULT " STARTER CURRENT OUT OF CALIBRATION." WHEN WE CLEAR THIS CODE TRUCK RUNS ROUGH, UNTIL CODE IS THROWN AGAIN THEN ENGINE RUNS SMOOTH. WE ARE UNABLE TO GET EMISSIONS UNTIL WE RESOLVE THIS ISSUE. ANY IDEAS.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Andy ! Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9L068092
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Thanks . I will look this up for you right after work if that's OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK THANKS
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you come up with any solution to my problem yet?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I do not see that code in the possible list of fault codes for that engine. I will send you the list of possible codes for that engine according to Navistar .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h519uunrlnxhvwt/EGES395_DTC.pdf?dl=0
Here is the list ! Can you identify which code from this list ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MY CODE READER HAS 2 SETTINGS BY WHICH WE CAN READ CODES ON THIS INTERNATIONAL TRUCK. MY CODE READER DEFINES THE TWO CODES AS FOLLOWS. (###) ###-####13-SPN ENGINE INJECTOR CONTROL OUT OF CALIBRATION. 128-164-13 PID STARTER CURRENT OUT OF CALIBRATION. AFTER REVIEWING THE CODE LIST YOU SENT ME, I WOULD ASSUME THAT THE GOOD CODE IS "ICP ABOVE KOEO SPECS." WHEN WE STARTED THIS PROJECT 2 WEEKS AGO, ONE OF YOUR TECHS TOLD US THAT WE NEEDED TO REPLACE THE INJECTOR WIRING HARNESS, WHICH WE DID, WITH NO CHANGE IN THE PROBLEM. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU BELIEVE WILL CORRECT THIS PROBLEM. THANKS.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Have you replace the ICP sensor in the valve cover ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that was the first thing we did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We googled the engine code we came up with, and found that either the crank shaft positions sensor or the camshaft sensor may be at fault. if you agree, which do you think might be causing the problem?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I do not agree with that. I will look up and send the troubleshooting for the code .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
How does this unit start ? Does it start easily cold or hot ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is easy to start cold or hot.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Can you clear all codes and make it act up again until you have an engine lamp come on ? Then read the fault to me and I will send you the troubleshooting steps for that specific fault number .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I will send you the information tomorrow morning
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Thanks ! I will be at work tomorrow but will check in on breaks. Maybe I should send you the manual ?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Here is the diagnostic manual for this engine . It comes in 3 parts.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u5y2ngaw1y20g9c/AAB63hrnbCN04aNX9wl2Duj7a?dl=0
Let me know if you need anything else !
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help with ? Please let me know !
Please do not forget to rate my service to you . Feedback is important and Bonus is appreciated . Thank you.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Just looking for an update ! Do you still need help ? Happy to assist further if needed !
Please do not forget to rate my service to you ! Feedback is important and Bonus is appreciated . Thank you !