Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 2009 cascadia dd15, temp,. fan comes on at 220

Customer Question

i have a 2009 cascadia dd15, hi temp,.
fan comes on at 220 -225
replace coolant 2x in a week, water pump, water temp sensor, fan sensor solenoid, thermostat all this in one week, and still fan wont start bellow 220-225, what else could it be?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you. first off, you are pretty dead on about the temps for the fan to kick on. These engine run at a normal operating temp of 195/200 to 135/140 degrees. The fan typically engages at 215 degrees and kicks out at 225 degrees. Sometimes the owners can set the temps higher for a better fuel savings to have the fans engage at 220 and disengage at 225. These engine run a lot hotter than their Series 60 engines at 180 degrees with the fans kicking in around 200-205 degrees. Are you certai the engine is at 220 and that the gauge itself isn't wrong? I would verify that first by checking the temp on the oil pan or radiator with a heat gun. Idle the truck up real high while it is parked and the truck should get pretty hot, pretty quick for you. Based on the info you provided me and with the gauge being a possible 3-5 degrees off (which is manufacturer expected, based on the training I got for this engine) you are within the specs for this engine for when the fan is to engage. Now if you turn the AC on, you wll get an earlier engagement for then the AC pressures come into effect which also means a cooler running engine as well. Unless you are getting a check engine light, you should be good. If you are getting the check engine light, then the parameter need to be checked and changed as well as the fan solenoid to see if there is voltage getting to it and commanding the fan on and the solenoid isn't responding properly. You will be able to see that in DDDL. It will give you tell you when the fan is commanded on and off as it is doing it, plus you can command it on and off as well. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paythe website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Followups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will giveyou an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Jeremy
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
I see you viewed my response. Do you need any more assistance on this question?