Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON ONCE IN A WHILE AND IF I SHUT DOWN

Customer Question

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON ONCE IN A WHILE AND IF I SHUT DOWN AND RESTART THE TRUCK IT GOES AWAY. TRUCK IS RUNNING FINE
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Since the check engine light is coming on. I would like to try and pull the flash codes by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.
Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.
Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey.
I just wanted to check and see how things were going.
Were you able to pull a code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to pull the code and it came as 55 so i guess no fault codes were found. Like i said before the light came on only few times. 2-4 times to be precise do i dont know what else could it be
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
Code 55 indicates no codes detected. However, there is one code that can turn the light on and not set a 2 digit code. It's a 385-1. 385-1 indicates low intake valve actuation pressure. I see this a lot.
This code can be caused by 4 things.
A low oil level.
A faulty IVA pressure sensor.
A leak at an IVA housing.
A faulty IVA control valve.
To confirm a service tool would be needed to read the 385-1 code.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey, I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.