Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have issues with check engine lights coming on periodicaly

Customer Question

I have issues with check engine lights coming on periodicaly and 99 percent of the time it has to do with emission control. This is very costly to diagnose and the down time is an issue. What type of computer diagnostic equipment is recommended for a small 4 truck company that could help us fix many issues ourselves. Sensors are pretty easy to replace if we know where we are looking. Is there something that could do cat and cummins also?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
To be honest the best tools to troubleshoot both a Cat and a cummins is Cat ET software and Cummins insight software.
The reason is there is not any after market tooling that can completely read 100% of both these engines. Tools like prolink and snap on scanners only read part of the codes not all.
To be able to read all codes and perform troubleshooting. The best way is to get the Cat and Cummins software. I am sorry. I wish there was a tool that could completely do both but there's not.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.