Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

Chevrolet Kodiak: I just changed the starter and selenide on

Customer Question

I just changed the starter and selenide on my kodiak and can get a click or anything when I hit the start button...it just spins and doesn't engage the flywheel when I jump the starter with a screw driver do I have something hooked up whong.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid has two functions, it has to engage starter motor, and it has to push the bendix into the flywheel
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid is not kicking the bendix. Did you install solenoid on starter?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Battery cable has to go to the open terminal on the solenoid. Not the side that goes to the starter motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 99 percent certain I have the starter hooked up right, I am now back to the original problem of just a click when I hit the start button which made me believe the starter was bad. That and a cracked starter celinoid, the other celinoid I replaced is on the firewall, I have a fully charged battery and no blown fuses that I could find....
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
So starter has no solenoid? Just relay on the firewall?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What is your starter number?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The posiitve cable from the relay would go to the open terminal on the starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wil-91-4470 is the starter number, I'm back to the original problem, just a click when I got to start the motor...the truck will pop start so I know it's in the starting system
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Starter is hard to hook up wrong. The switch wire to the solenoid is the likely problem, it has to engage the solenoid and the starter motor. Wire can have bad connection, or the wire can be damaged. For a quick test, at the starter,touch the cable terminal to the switch terminal, starter should engage. If starter works, you need a new wire from the relay to the switch post.