Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

International: How to change the engine governor speed on a

Customer Question

How to change the engine governor speed on a 1995 DT444E
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can ! I don't believe that you can increase it safely. You would be going above the design limits of the engine and could result in engine damage .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying but the use of this vehicle is very limited and currently with the engine governed at 2600 RPM it will only make 55 MPH on the interstate and it cannot maintain this on hills. I am not concerned with engine life. Can the governor speed be changed in ECM parameters and if so what is this parameter's name?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
First of all, what is the road speed limiting parameter set at? And is road speed limiting turned on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Road speed is set to 99 MPH and road speed limit is ON. If you floor the throttle with the truck in neutral sitting still the engine goes to 2600 RPM only.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
OK ! Have we done any performance checks like fuel pressure measurement at the fuel rail Schrader to make sure you are getting 60 psi at the rail at low idle , high idle and on a full load during a road test ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to local IH dealer all mechanical parameters are in spec, they adjusted the road speed and HP parameters but due to their internal policies I was told that they were not allowed to change engine speed governor. This did not show in the screens displayed on their laptop but I was told that this was due to the security permissive imposed by their management.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
It is not a dealer programmable option . Correct . It would go beyond the design limits of that engine . you may just be dealing a performance issue or the engine is tired .
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytu55d5ppfzhg3a/444e%20hard%20start%20and%20performance%20from%201997.pdf?dl=0
Here is a link to the hard start and performance troubleshooting for this engine in case something was missed . I would check boost to see how much boost you can build under load and compare to dpec .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
If you give me the last 8 digitx of the vin number , I can look up your specific engine and give you the specs to help out . There may be low fuel pressure , or low boost or low icp causing this issue . You might find something a tad out of spec , and repairing it might give you the extra jam you're looking for .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This engine came from a vehicle with VIN number 1HVBBABN6SH671950 (Thomas built school bus). The ECM is a(###) ###-####1, The IDM is a(###) ###-####1. There is no part number on the PM. The thing you mentioned have been checked by Hunter IH and a local diesel shop and are all good within specs.I was told by the mechanic at the IH dealer that there is a parameter but he did not have access to it. Is there such a parameter?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
No you cannot change maximum governed rpm. Not dealer programmable .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
It can be changed only in PTO mode but the maximum RPM for road operation is not adjustable .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Just looking for an update on this ! Do you still need help ? Let me know ! Thank you !
Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end of this session ! That is the only way that I am rewarded on here . Otherwise , the site gets it all. Thank you .