Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 2002 kenworth with a c15 in it with code 42 and the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 kenworth with a c15 in it with code 42 and the cruise wont work the cruise is stuck flashing the code
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me! I will try and help you out.
No code 42 can not disable the cruise control.
Code 42 indicates either the timing has not been calibrated. Or that the cam to crank sensors are off more than 3 degrees.
Has a new ECM been installed on the engine? Or has the head or cam been removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it had a cat remain engine put in it
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
With flash code 42 and a new reman engine. You most likely have either a timing calibration needed or the cam to crank timing is off. If it needs calibration. ET will show a code 22-13. If the cam to crank timing is off. There will be a code 22-11.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
biggest thing is he would he would like the cruise working it keeps flashing the trouble codes at all times, not when you shut the cruise off and hit set.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its code 22-11
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
Yes when there is a code 22-11. It will keep flashing until the problem is repaired. The engine has either the cam gear timing off or the idler gear backlash off.
When this code is active the engine also will not have full power. I would have this corrected as soon as possible.
If your ET showed the cruise on/off/ and set/resume working, you may have another item like a clutch switch or brake switch keeping the cruise from working. If they all are working, I must suspect this code does stop the cruise control. It does not say it in the troubleshooting manual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one more thing what are the engine oil pressure spec on this eng its a 6nz
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Sure no problem.
The minimum oil pressure hot at idle is 15 psi.
The minimum oil pressure hot when the RPMS are above 1400 is 40 psi.
Let me know if you need more help.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Here is an oil pressure chart for a 6NZ. Just copy and paste this link into your internet browser.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v6c89pxxl6rx1k/OILP.jpg?dl=0
Let me know if you need more help.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey.
I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!