Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 2008 f650 with the cat c7 r head motor. 120k miles. Starts pe

Customer Question

I have a 2008 f650 with the cat c7 r head motor. 120k miles. Starts perfect. Idles perfect. Revs up perfect. After about 30-45 seconds it shuts off. Just like you turned off a switch. It will restart immediately and repeat the cycle.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Does the red engine warning light come on before the engine shuts down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When taken to cat had code 157-17 and 3719-0 I believe the engine light comes on when it shuts down. It immediately will start right back up and idle - rev fine again for another 30-45 seconds. I text my son to verify engine light. Truck is stuck at his house 3 hours away
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
157-17 is a low fuel rail pressure. This is caused by a faulty fuel system check valve or pump. This fault will cause an engine shit down
3719 is a soot load code. This is common on these engines. Once a regen is completed this code will go away.
I would suspect the 157-17 is your shutdown problem.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He verified red engine stop light comes on at shut down
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If high pressure fuel pump was bad would it not want to rev up correctly due to lack of fuel? What would you reccomend checking/replacing? Check valve?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Yes. The check valve is the most common problem. I would consider replacing it first. I have replaced many of these for this problem.
Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you happen to know the part number and or location/ diagram? Is there only one check valve? Thanks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is only one check valve. The part number is(###) ###-####
Copy and paste this link into your internet browser. Its located at 3-18.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjn12s3ocnkf5um/valve.jpg?dl=0
Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will get a check valve and report back. Thank you
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done more research. Seems like code 3719-0 is high soot load code. When this code present the ecu shuts down after 60 seconds. I'm thinking this is going to be my issue.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thanks for the information.
The high soot can cause a shut down if too much soot is in the DPF.
Does the system complete a regen? OR does the engine just keep shutting down every 45 seconds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not doing a regen for some reason and the c7 doesn't have a manual regen switch in it?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Yeah none of the Fords came with switches. They have to be added.
Since it's not doing a regen on its own and its shutting down. I suspect the ARD head is faulty. I replace a lot of these. I would consider having it replaced. You will also need to have someone with ET do a regen. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking into a dpf delete
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
I can't blame you for that. The DPF system is very frustrating. They are always having problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I've read. We dpf delete the cummins in the dodge light duty and the cat seems to have major issues. To have a diesel with 125k miles and not run is ridiculous
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Yes you are 100% correct. The Cat C7 has major issues.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!