Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 1986 Prevost Liberty . Two of my three battery celenoids

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Prevost Liberty . Two of my three battery celenoids get very hot each time I start the coach .I have replaced all three but get the same result . they get very hot . My dashboard gauge reads 28 volts when she is running .However , I have to jump start the coach every time I try to start her. I just don't understand what is causing this problem . The Alternator and generator were checked in 2012 . The voltage regulator was replaced in 2012 . I have not put much mileage on the coach since then because I have not been able to travel . I am in south new Jersey . Plainfield Prevost and Risco have both serviced my coach in the past and always have had a problem with them after I leave their complexs . I need an expert electrical mechanic in this area. I am afraid to move my coach for fear of a fire .Please Help. Paul Barchitta
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.Do you know if the coach is a 12 or 24 volt system? Some are setup with 24 volt at the batteries and convert to 12 with a voltage regulator. When the regulator was changed, did this issue happen right after or is this a new issue?Can you take a picture of the batteries so I can see how the cables are set up? That can change a 12 volt to a 24 volt or higher by the way the cables are set up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid you and you gave me Dan . Now you give me Jeremy.What's UP.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to get back to you. I have to get to the coach in order to take pictures of the battery hookup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to use my wife's IPHONE 4.To which web site do I send the pictures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, where are you ?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
You asked for Dan so I opted out. Have a great day.
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. First test all your batteries with a digital tester with the batteries unhooked for any potential internal problems, shorts or dead cells revealed by a digital tester. If ok the next step is to verify your connections are correct and all grounds check good. It sounds like you have a dead short somewhere causing the batteries to drain. Check all your fuses and relays. Test for power on both sides of the fuses with the IGN on. If ok look for any chafed or rubbed through wiring, shorted/ corroded connector pins, etc. If your batteries are draining overnight then there is a dead short in the IGN/starting circuit. If the grounds test good and all the connections to the starter are good you could have a generator/alternator problem or starter problem shorted internally. Let me know
Hi Paul.... Did you still need help with this?