Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 1992 cummins 5.9 liter inline 6 in a trolley. We had

Customer Question

I have a 1992 cummins 5.9 liter inline 6 in a trolley. We had a problem with oil pouring out of the overflow tube. We replaced two pistons and rings. We replaced the turbo. Finally we had the injection pump rebuilt and reinstalled by a cummins tech. The injection pump was the problem. Fuel was leaking into the oil and therefore creating so much volume that it came out of the overflow. Problem solved. New problem since that repair is that when we start the engine cold and drive about 10 miles it begins to lose power, It will limp to the next place at about 15 mph. Let it sit not running. Starts and runs like a deer,
Depending on how long you let it rest, determines the distance you can drive. About 2-3 hrs. will give you approx 10 miles. We dropped the gas tank and cleaned it out(almost no sediment) and changed the filter. Also replaced the lift pump. My thoughts are that possibly it could be fuel hose collapsing under heat as the engine warms up. There is a
governor on the motor. Please help, I am about to tear my hair out and am almost out of money. Thanks for your thoughts. Ed
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Try test line from the lift pumps inlet, into the fuel tank filler opening, bypassing fuel tank and all the hoses and fittings, before the lift pump. If no difference, check the fuel shutoff solenoid, Where is your solenoid, external or internal to the injection pump.