Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

Service park brake light won't go off

Customer Question

Service park brake light won't go off
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Joseph Book replied 1 year ago.
What make, model and year is this please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008 international 4300
I do apologize but Im going to have to back out so another professional can help you. I do not know enough about the International Platform to be of assistance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok- we won't have to pay for a other session, will we?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can !Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8H677920
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Andy!
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure ! Let me look up your vehicle to see what system you have !
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
So this is a 3200 bus with a Maxxforce DT 466 engine in it and this had Wabco full power hydraulic brakes with a SAAR park brake canister ( spring applied air release park system) . Is this correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We replaced the park brake canister and the 2 solinoids on the frame rail there was no light originally but air was leaking from solinoids so we replaced solinoids to fix leak
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A few months back we adjusted the park brake to get the light off and it worked like normal it seemed like we had to reset process or something that worked to get light off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So with new e brake can light will not go off with loose or tight adjustment
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I read an article that talks about clearing the codes to get the light out . Even inactive code in memory seems to keep the light on on post 2007 body controllers . If you clear the codes and adjust the brake properly , the light will go out !
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
TROUBLESHOOTING
On the Pre-2007 trucks with ESC's, the Service P light would go out whenever the DTC went inactive. On the Post-2007 trucks with Body Controllers(BC), the Service P light will stay on even after the code goes inactive. So in order to get the light to go out, you need to clear all inactive codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what software is needed to clear the inactive codes? We have powertrain control software, but we don't have body control software.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I will look up the procedure .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been so helpful
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk6fbao5geml169/checking%20body%20controller%20faults.txt?dl=0
Try this procedure ! Copy this link ans paste it in your address bar . I hope this works!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that must have what my guy did last time when we were in panic mode I will try tomorrow that should take care of it you rock thanks again Bill Kellison
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
If that doesn't work , then I read a newer article that says the inactive fault codes clear themselves after 40 key cycles without the code returning active throughout those cycles . So as long as the brake is adjusted correctly , the light will eventually go out by itself after 40 key cycles anyway !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice thank you again
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
No problem ! Please do not forget to rate my service to you ! That is the only way I receive credit for my efforts on here . Otherwise, the site gets it all!
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Looking for an update ! Do you still need help ? Let me know ! Happy to assist further if needed !
PLEASE do not forget to RATE my SERVICE to you ! That is the only way that I am rewarded at all on here ! Thank you !