Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have code ID 58 FMI 4... That would be flash code 63.. It's

Customer Question

I have code ID 58 FMI 4... That would be flash code 63.. It's on a 2000 freightliner with a 12.7 detroit.. 06R0519755.. What does this code cause the engine to do?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concerns.
Refer to the link below.
http://dmbruss.com/images/Schematics/DDEC/63_Flash_Code_63_PWM_Fault.pdf
If you have Opti-Idle on the truck, this code is in relation to it.
You actually have to hook the laptop to the truck and diagnose the harness. These are NOT easy codes to repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a laptop I hooked it up? I found that same link a long time ago... I do have opti idle... What problems does this cause? With my laptop what can I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are my steps to find this problem with computer.. Will this cause engine to misfire and put out white smoke at high rpm?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
With DDDL, turn off the optimized idle, then clear the code. Turn optimized idle back on and recheck the function of the optimized idle. If the code comes back, it is in the opti idle system and then you will need to check the wire #910 going to the ECM from the opt-idle relay and the relay. The instructions in the document give you these details.
If the code remains after turning the opt-idle off, there is an issue on the ECM or at the pin for connector of wire 910.
That wire is at pin W-2. I'll post the ECM pinout to help you out.
I can save a lot of trouble. If you don't use the opti-idle, I would turn it off and leave it off. If you do use the opti-idle, then I would do the diagnostics per the TSB and locate the issue. I tend to find the opti-idle relay/control box to be a problem a lot of the time and they cost a lot to replace.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ss8n4dcsy73mtri/Series_60_DDEC_III-IV_Engine_Harness_and_Vehicle_Interface_Harness_(page_1).png
http://www.mediafire.com/view/zjuepmhc64n1ptg/Series_60_DDEC_III-IV_Engine_Harness_and_Vehicle_Interface_Harness_(page_2).png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it turned off... Used test ecm still stays on
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
There is definitely an issue in that circuit that needs to be resolved. That will require wire tracing. It is a hard code to resolve... Most techs frown when they see it because it takes a lot of tracing.
You'll have to follow those steps of tracing and in DDDL 8.1, there are steps on there to check as well, but I can't print them off or copy them. The program and DDSCN will not let me. They are just the same steps, but provide pictures of the points to actually pin test with a harness tester attached. Most don't have that harness tester anyway... I don't even have one. It costs too much when I am better off using a 10 foot wire and alligator clip at my battery ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What problems will this cause?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Bad connections, bad relays, bad opti-idle control box, bad harness, bad power connection from the batteries...