Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

I have a 2013 T800 ISX 525hp Dump Truck. When i am loaded and

Customer Question

I have a 2013 T800 ISX 525hp Dump Truck. When i am loaded and take off at the bottom of a 6% grade the truck twice has gone up to 235 to 240 the red engine light came on the 1st time and shut the truck down the 2nd time just came on for a few seconds and got it off by holding @ 1000 rpm at a stop light. I have replaced the thermostat in between those 2 incidents any suggestions. No loss of coolant and nothing in the oil So?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can ! What about the fan ? Is it coming on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES i turn it on when i leave the job site the roar is good and loud and consistent so no belt slippage
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Is your rad possibly plugged up ? It would need a good visual inspection to see if air is able to pass through quite easy for proper cooling. Also is your freeze protection perhaps too rich ? Should be 50/50 mix of coolant and water . Too much coolant could cause higher temperatures alonf with a cap that cannot hold the recommended system pressure .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One Cummins guy told me it's probably an EGR leaking into something.The cooling system is fine. As I said earlier, there is no loss of fluid nor is there any coolant in the oil. Other than the cooling system, what could the EGR be leaking into that would cause the truck to heat up? The problem occurs only when the truck is loaded and pulling a grade at a lower speeds. Cruising at highway speed and pulling a grade isn't a problem.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an engine lamp coming on ? Any codes ? If your levels are all good and are not dropping , that is good . What abut the rad being plugged like I mentionned in my previous post ? Where you able to give it a good visual to see how plugged up it is? Depending on the environment that you travl in ( frequent dirt roads and such) , your rad could be pluggged with mud and your rad may not be able to cool properly . In this condition , the fan would not be very helpful even if it is running !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said the red engine light came on the 1st time and shut the truck down, The 2nd time just came on for a few seconds and got it off by holding @ 1000 rpm at a stop light, No codes are showing, Rad is spotless no dirt, bugs,leafs or trees.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Can I have your engine serial number please ? I will look this up online . There is a troubleshooter to follow called sudden overheat that I can look up and send to you. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine number 79618636 family series CCEXH0912XAR Reference number E660DC737C728P7471
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7nf8jjxz3iggxl/overheat.pdf?dl=0
This link sends you to a troubleshooter for overheat trouble. Let me know when you need something else! Thanks