Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I had a new starter put in my cat 3406e and on my first trip

Customer Question

I had a new starter put in my cat 3406e and on my first trip it began clicking again, as I pulled the wiring out to make sure the ends were clean i found the ground wire attack to the main terminal with the other wires.... my question is where does the ground wire attack to the starter?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think think the guy that put my starter in knew how to wire it, where does the ground hook up to the starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am sorry, I don't have a lot of time, i have to wire a starter and need the diagram for a 1996 3406e Caterpillar engine??
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concerns.
Year, make, and model of truck?
Positive goes on the solenoid nut on the starter. The grounds go on the nut of the starter itself.
If this is a Freightliner, then the small wire grounds need to be on the starter grounds with 1 ignition wire on the positive of the solenoid. The small wire is the stater signal wire to engage the starter.
I'll need the truck info to get you a diagram.