Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have an international 4700 dt 466E just had an inframe but

Customer Question

I have an international 4700 dt 466E just had an inframe but 2 days ago we suddenly had to put 5 gallons of oil into truck. 2 days later 16 hrs run time 1.5 gallons.I know mechanic did not send head out to be machined is that the problem. no oil leaks but the exhaust has a slight odor to it
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me! I will try and help you out.
Unfortunately it could be the head. IF the head had worn valve guides, it can cause an oil consumption problem. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.
You could also have an injector causing this. They can fail and allow oil to enter the fuel system and be burned in the cylinders. If this is the case, you should notice a black tint to the fuel.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.