Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

How do I id the Allison transmission

Customer Question

how do I id the Allison transmission in a 1999 Freightliner FL70 and how do I go about servicing it
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. This should be the 3000/4000 series transmission. Copy and paste this link in your web browser for the maintenance manual. Let me know if you need more help.
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/transmissions/3000_4000_operators.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"This should be" is not the answer I was looking for and is certainly not worth 57$. Had you done a little more research you would have found that the transmission has an ID tag on the passenger side which I found hidden behind the exhaust running next to the trans. I also read through the manual which you sent to download and found nothing in regard to draining the torque converter which a mechanic has advised me on. So in short I am asking for a refund of my money, thanks *****
3000/4000 series are what is common in your model truck but you provided no info other than your model truck and I assumed since you did not find the tag that it was probably missing. I know where the ID tag is as I rebuild these and eatons. You will never get all the oil out of the converter. When you service these you do not drain the converter and that is why it is not in the manual. The only way to flush the entire transmission is by using a machine that hooks into the transmission lines and will flush the oil until it is withing new oil specs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once again I asked two specific questions and got a "should be" and now a "probably". Had you answered my first question in regard to identifying the trans and told me where to look for the ID tag instead of just assuming it was missing I would have found it and not had to keep looking. And had you answered the question on going about servicing it by just telling me to drain the fluid then remove the two filter covers and replace the filters all would have been good. So again I am requesting a refund and if you are going to charge people for answers give them answers to their specific questions.