Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

Yes i have a 1996 mtsubushi fuso sm trash compactor truck ...was

Customer Question

yes i have a 1996 mtsubushi fuso sm trash compactor truck ...was going down road and lost all power shut down like some one turned ignition off ...towed home and it wont start and only getting half power to truck
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can !If you can provide me with the full vin number , I may be able to provide you with a wiring diagram but it sounds like the ECM has either lost ignition power feed or battery power or a bad ground .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry its a 1999 i hope serial number is ***** thing as vin...JW6BBC1H5XL001503 if not same ill need find title...thank you so much for the help
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any power at all in the cab ? Or have you lost all power ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very little just for a minute wipers will hardly move headlights real dim stereo wont come on you turn ignition off a.nd try it again and wont get nothing battery full charged its all suppose to be 12 volt. The tester shows six volts and when you try to turn over it will not start
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Ok so this is affecting the whole truck , cab , engine , everything ? Can you confirm also that there is 12 volts at the batteries currently ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know on that for sure just says charging and we plugged battery charge up to it for several hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While driving radio went off and driver smelt something hot then it died with no power
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Ok so we need to test with a multimeter to find out if batteries are in fact ok and reading 12 volts . That is first . Then we need to follow the large battery positive cable from the batteries to see where it goes. It will head towards the starter . We have to check and make sure we are getting 12 volts at the battery positive stud on the starter .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. But it is 11:14 pm here .they guy looking at it already left and wont return til tomorrow . Can we still communicate on this then
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
The problem is I work at the dealership during the day but can respond mostly in the evenings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well i could get this all checked about battery and cable gone to starter snd the positive stud and then see if u could help tomorrow evening if that doesnt help ..i can pay to speak with you again if needed
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I would start by checking for 12 volts at all the main areas , behind the alterntor , at the starter , at the main cab fuses , etc...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we will do and if its none of those will hope to get to speak with you again ..about ECM locations or other possibilities i really appreciate your help ...this is my business truck and do so need it
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk7gqyqfdoz3ku2/fuso%201.png?dl=0
Here is a diagrm that shows the batteries to the high current fuse panel wiring . We need to test there to be sure good power is getting there too . Load test with a headlight perhaps .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Just looking for an update ! Do you still need help with this ? Happy to help further if needed . Let me know . Thanks.
Please do forget to rate my service to you at the end of this session ! That is the only way that i am rewarded on here . Thank you .