Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Broke down. 12.7 detriot broke exhaust valve spring on cylinder

Customer Question

broke down. 12.7 detriot broke exhaust valve spring on cylinder one but valve did not fall into cylinder. i just need spring replace. Can i run the ruck with injector disonected ?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck started blowing white smoke and misfiring on an up hill on 285 Atlanta, GA. I took valve cover off thinking an injector went bad. I found broken exhaust valve spring on cylinder 1. The valve did not fall in cylinder. The valve is in good shape from what i can see. I need a new spring installed and keepers. I don't know if the valve got burnt or not.. I can install spring with head on and keepers, but i dont know if injector was the cause of broken spring. Or why it started smoking white.. Can a detriot 60 series run on 5 cylinders ? I am trying to see if i find a tech that has the tool to install spring without removing head.. If valve is burnt can it still make it to texas ? do i have to disconnect injector etc ?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Yes the truck can run on 5 cylinders. You can unplug the iniector. However I would not recommend driving it like this to Texas.
Even though the valve stem is still there, it may have the head of the valve gone. I see this a lot. Many times the head can get knocked off and the stem stay in the head. If this is the case, there is most likely piston and turbo damage. It would be unsafe to drive the truck in this condition. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.