cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

I put a turbo, on a cummins 444,old turbo went up, cleaned

Customer Question

I put a turbo, on a cummins 444,old turbo went up, cleaned out air system,installed a new turbo,must have still been a little debris , scored the fins on the new turbo fins, just a little on each fin, can I run it like this, or try to replace the cartridge, can I just replace the one fin that's slightly damaged?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.you should not run the turbo with the fins damaged the turbo the fins can wobble and make contact with housing and cause more damage. Cummins turbos and non serviceable and the whole assembly must be replaced. But double check with Cummins give them the engine serial number and see if the internal parts can be replaced. Or find a turbo shop to take a look and see if they can repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even if the fins are barely damaged at the tip, it's got more clearance between fins,and housing lol so I need to put another turbo on?
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
It's your call,if you feel the fins have little damage I would keep an eye on it. If you notice any excessive play in the shaft when you move it up and down and side to side or low power/ smoke worse damage replace it
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
Hello just following up. Do you need more assistance? Please don't forget to rate my service.