Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

My Cat engine in my 2000 Winnebago motorhome with 77,000 miles

Customer Question

My Cat engine in my 2000 Winnebago motorhome with 77,000 miles on it has started running hot on inclines and yesterday started running hot on level. What do you suggest we do? We are parked in Bozeman, MT and live in McRae, GA. My phone number is(###) ###-####if you can call me.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
How hot is it getting up to?
Does the red engine warning light come on when this happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The buzzer will come on.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
There are two things I would suspect is causing the overheat.
The first is the thermostat is not opening completely. When this happens the engine will only overheat under heavy loads of on hills. I would have the thermostat changed first.
Second is a partialy restricted radiator. It could be restricted on the inside or outside. When they begin to get restricted, the engine will start overheating at high loads of on hills. If changing the thermostat does not help, I would then suspect the radisotor.
Also, I would not suspect the water pump as the engine would overheat all the time.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the cooling system water temperature regulator?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
That's the same thing as the thermostat. They can be called thermostat or regulator.
It's located on top of the engine under the top radiator hose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the clutch on the cooling fan?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Can you hear the cooling fan come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am too far from it to hear if it does or not
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thanks for the information.
I would not suspect the fan. The reason is just like the water pump. If the fan was not coming on, the engine would overheat all the time. I would more so suspect the thermostat or radiator.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey.
I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit.
Thanks!