Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have an electrical problem. if i turn on the left turn signal

Customer Question

I have an electrical problem. if i turn on the left turn signal all the lights in the back start blinking, some of them are very dim. this is with the headlights on. with the headlights off the turn signal works just fine. Truck is a durastar 2011, body pt1000 heil.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concerns.
You either have the wires crossed or there is a short in the lights. Usually it is a bad ground.
On the back lights, look for the white wire. That is the ground wire. Use a small wire and jump it to the frame and see if the lights stop flashing. If so, there is a ground short and all you need to do is find the short or just run a new ground.
Let me know what you find.
Here is the wire list as to what color does what on those.
Black or brown is marker lights.
Green is right turn
Yellow is left turn
Red is brake (if you have this wire)
White is ground
Blue is reverse
That should help locate the issue. If the light fixture was replaced, it could be a mis-aligned wire. If none were changed, the ground wire is usually the issue 99% of the time.