Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

GMC C5500: We installed a new rebuilt 6.6 duramax and there

Customer Question

We installed a new rebuilt 6.6 duramax and there are no DTC's present but the engine will not fire up. We suspect timing to be an issue. Any other insight on this and if timing is suspected what is the proper procedure for timing this engine? It is 2005 LLY
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concerns.
If you remove the front cover, you will see two notches on the can and one on the crank gears. Line the crank in the middle of the cam and the timing should be lined up. There is only one cam on these engines.
There should be nothing else to time on these. The injection pump doesn't need any timing done on it.
Do all your other basic checks. Check fuel pressure, fuel return, etc.
These engines are known to have the injector modules quitting with no engine codes. So be sure to test the module for power and buzz testing.