Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I own 2 6-71 DD J&T 485 hp. Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/medi

Customer Question

I own 2 6-71 DD J&T 485 hp. I takes a lot of cranking for them to start. I think its a fuel problem. How do I fix it.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pressure at 60 psi when running? Does engine restart if you shut it off, or is it hard to start after setting overnight? Fuel drain back can affect first start, but not after initial start. Has anything changed? Did engines start easier before? Are the fuel racks in the full fuel position for start? What kind of governors are on the engines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are marine engines
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
yes, I know! I worked for Stewart and Stevenson, Detroit Diesel engine distributor for many years. The two cycle engines were what I worked on exclusively. That was my first job as a diesel tech. 6-71 engines today are like hens teeth. Few and far between. The Detroit has to have plenty of fuel and most problems with hard start is fuel starvation. But the fuel racks have to being the full fuel position , for start. If you think I'm not what you need, let me know, but you will be hard pressed to find someone with more experience on the Detroit two cycles!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel, I am not satisfied.