Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 2007 peterbilt 387 that won't start using the ignition

Customer Question

I have a 2007 peterbilt 387 that won't start using the ignition switch. It will start if you jump it at the starter.gauges and everything work as they should. I just replaced the starter thinking it had a short but it still wont start with key
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concerns.
Have you tested the ignition switch to verify you have power going to the starter? It will be marked with "S" or "I" on the back of the switch.
Have you checked the small wire on the starter to indicate you have power going in there when the switch is being turned? You may have a bad ignition switch that needs to be ruled out.
Next to rule out is the ignition/starter relays. Your panel under the passenger side, are there any red lights showing a failure for the ignition/starting systems?