Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Have a 2005 Pete 379 ext hood with avert c15 550hp truck has

Customer Question

Have a 2005 Pete 379 ext hood with avert c15 550hp truck has lost power running down the road it won't hardly pull a hill have changed fuel filters a few fuel lines check valves in filter housing and fuel pump also changed turbo pressure switch still same issue
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Does the yellow check engine light come on while driving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine no stored codes also did injected test all numbers were 3.6 all 3 runs
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
Whenever I see low power like this and no codes. I always find either a low fuel pressure problem or air system problem. Since you have already troubleshot the fuel system. I would suspect an air system problem.
This can be caused by a leak in the air piping or air to air aftercooler on the truck. I would first inspect all of the piping to see if there is a hole in any of the rubber boots that hold the pipes. From there you may want to cap off one side of the air to air cooler, and pressurize it. They have been known to crack and leak and cause low boost. I see this a lot. You could also have a turbo problem. The turbo could have too much endplay or fin damage.
Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have checked for leaks in air to air lines one turbo is 2 months old looked at other this morning looks fine when ur running down the highway and push on the throttle it's like ur not in it
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
If the turbos are OK I would then suspect the air to air cooler. If it has a crack and leaking boost. The engine will have no power. I would have it pressure tested.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Air to air held pressure for 15 minutes all hoses and clamps apear fine
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
Have you measured the fuel pressure while diving? If so, what psi did it have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gauge on the dash reads about 90lbs at idle and about 95 while driving it's a new pump and check vales that r in the filter housing
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
That sounds a little high at idle. Could be a return line restriction. Restriction can cause hot fuel and low power.
Have you checked the return line?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The line from the fuel filter housing to the back of the moter is brand new and the line from the filter housing to the driver front side of the block is brand new
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
If the fuel system and air system are OK. All that's left is worn injectors. The only way to confirm is to have the truck ran on a PAR Dynomometer and the fuel rate measured.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey.
I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!