Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

I have a 2007 ih dt466 with water in the oil pan annd exsesive

Customer Question

i have a 2007 ih dt466 with water in the oil pan annd exsesive pressure in radiater
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can ! Going by the symptoms you have indicated, it sounds like you have a head gasket leaking combustion into the cooling system . This is caused sometimes by cylinder liners moving around with not enough crush on the fire rings of the head gasket . Also , the fact that you have coolant in the oil also points to the liners . The bottom of the liners have o- rings to stop coolant from leaking into the oil pan . It sounds like you may not only be pulling the head off to replace the gasket, you may be doing a works kit .
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Wayne
I will help you with this
Thank you for asking for me
What I suggest is to drop the oil pan
pressure the cooling system to 10-12 Lbs
then you can see where the coolant is coming from
what cylinder or several
it can just be a head gasket , or a cracked head
If this helped you, Please rate my answer
If Not, Please USE REPLY BUTTON FOR MORE INFO
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Wayne's answer is also correct and very similar to what I have already mentionned so therefore , this is what I suggest : I would do as Wayne suggests and pressure the system to find the leaks with the oil pan off . Once you do find them , if they are leaking at the liner o-rings like I mentionned , then we know that the head has to come off now anyway , so the head gasket will need replacing anyway , and at that point , Measure cylinder protrusion to be sure that the cylinder liners are all within spec . You are likely to find some out of spec , which is what I was talking about in my original answer . Here are the specs:
Table 69 Cylinder Sleeve Specifications
Allowable variation of counterbore depth between four points (max.) 0.03 mm (0.001 in)
Counterbore depth before adding shims (max.) 10.49 mm (0.413 in)
Counterbore depth (including shims- if any) 8.84 - 8.89 mm (0.348 - 0.350
in)
Cylinder sleeve protrusion 0.05 - 0.13 mm (0.002 - 0.005
in)
Cylinder sleeve taper, at top of ring travel (max.) 0.10 mm (0.004 in)
Flange thickness 8.94 - 8.96 mm (0.352 - 0.353
in)
Inside diameter 114.50 - 116.60 mm (4.590 -
4.591 in)
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Looking for an update on this! Do you still need help ? Let me know ! Happy to assist further if needed ! Thanks.
Please do not forget to rate my service at the end though . That is the only way that I am rewarded at all on here . Thank you .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Haven't heard anything in a few days ! Looking for an update ! Do you still need help ? Let me know ! Happy to help further if needed. And please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end ! That is the only way that I am rewarded on here . Thank you .