spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I have a Kenworth w900, CAT c15 with a single axle drive. In

Customer Question

I have a Kenworth w900, CAT c15 with a single axle drive. In the last month, I've been hearing a consistent knocking noise in 9th and 10th gear (10 speed eaton). We've looked for everything, exhaust leaks, drive line (u joint, etc.). Engine is running
well, no oil usage, power is good, good MPG, no smoke, can't find anything. The ONLY visible issue, my clutch is worn smooth out. The knocking sound can be felt with a feather touch on the stick shift, and also through my feet. Would or could the worn clutch
cause such a problem? I'm stumped, everyone's stumped. For the record, I have very little shifting issues out of the transmission. Jeff
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question.
If it was the clutch you should have noise in other gears as well but that does not rule out the clutch yet.
What I would do is drain transmission oil and look for any metal in oil,,if oil is gray in color that would be a sign of worn parts internal in trans.
Knocking noise like this is usually a chipped or broken tooth on one of the gears.
After you drain the trans oil we will have a better idea if the issue is in trans.
Did you have any broken springs in clutch disc?
Or loose springs? you should not be able to move them by hand,,if they are loose that could cause a noise?
Also inspect input shaft for excessive wear.
Let me know