Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 05 sterling with a om 460 LA engine it turns over

Customer Question

I have a 05 sterling with a om 460 LA engine it turns over good smoke com out the exhaust but won't run . it act like its getting a couple drop of fuel that's y it smoke .
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will try to help you with this did you just do a service on it replace fuel filterThis is a Mercedes engine ,correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes a Mercedes engine . no service on engine

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for that
1st off blow air into tank, sounds like it has air bubble in fuel,
wrap a rag around the neck to hold air in
Have someone crank it as you do this

If this helped you, Please rate my answer If

If Not, Please USE REPLY BUTTON FOR MORE INFO
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that ant wokred
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Morning
Will it start if you spray starting fluid in air filter
let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am going to opt-out
and pass it to another expert
do not reply or rate me as it will lock the question back to me
sorry I could not help
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Does the check engine light come on and cycle with the key switch on? If not the ECM is not communicating from either a loss of power or ground to the ECM or a faulty ECM. Check the inline fuse between the battery box and ECM. If that checks good then check for possible loss of engine speed signal from the cam or crank sensors and harness. Look for RPM reading while cranking over the engine. Check for air or restrictions in the system between the fuel tank and pump. Let me know.
Do you have any fault codes logged in the ECM memory? Let me know. Another simple thing that can cause a non start is low coolant level or a coolant sensor and harness problem but this will usually throw a low coolant code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No code .rpm move very little
Thanks for the update. I think I have already been helping you on this as I see there are two open questions. A faulty cam or crank sensor will cause this or and ECM problem. Make sure your ECM has power and ground and the check engine light comes on and cycles with the IGN switch on. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light on
Thanks for the info. The check engine light should come on with the key on and then go out. If not then your ECM is not powering up or communicating. Check between the battery box and ECM for a blown inline fuse and be sure the harness is connected to the positive cable and has no damage or corrosion. Test all fuses and relays. Either the ECM lost power or ground and if it tests good, the ECM itself has a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok check let u no
Sounds good. Let me know.
Copy and paste this link in your browser. I uploaded the ECM pinout and wiring diagram for the MBE4000. Using a test light or volt/OHM meter test your power and grounds at the ECM plug.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/9h8rccl6hut3a9u/mbe_900_4000_oemharness_ECM_pinout.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Pleasure to help. Let me know how you make out or if you need more help. Please remember to rate my answers if the information has helped you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm check it about 2 n get back with u
Sounds good. I will be heading out for the afternoon with family but I will check back in when I get back later tonight or as I am able but I will reply back at my next available log in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were is the ecm located
It is bolted to the LH side of the engine block. You will see the engine wiring harness connected to it. It is a square box. Let me know .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplugged the ecm what wires To check for
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the ecm as a big plug n small plug
Hi , thanks for the update. I posted the ECM pinout and engine schematic in a prior post but if you did not get it copy and paste this link in your web browser.
Hi, Did you get this resolved? I wanted to follow up to see what you found and if my information was helpful to you or if you still needed more help? Let me know and I will get this question closed out for you if you don't need further help with this. Please feel free to rate or accept if you found my information helpful as that is how the experts receive credit for their time helping on the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steel not running
Thanks for the update. What were the results of the testing for battery and switchable power and grounds to the ECM by testing with a test light or volt/OHM meter? Does the check engine light come on ans cycle when you turn the key switch on? If not the ECM has either lost power or ground or is faulty. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light have power n ground to ecm small plug on ecm have 8 wire they have power n ground that r the truck interface harnnes. All fuse good