Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have the same code on a2013 peterbilt. We changed the oil

Customer Question

I have the same code on a2013 peterbilt. We changed the oil 20,000 miles ago. Still looks good, does not smell burnt. Oil level looks good. We can not clear code. What else can we look at?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
What is the engine serial number and fault code you are getting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0897. It has an Allison 2000 series transmission
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help.
p0897 Transmission Fluid Deteriorated.. Another fault associated with this is p088b Transmission Filter Very Deteriorated.If the code ends with A it is filter only and B is both oil and filter. These faults become active when the sensor detects that the pressure is lower than spec indicating service is due. If new fluid and filter does not correct this problem then you will need to have your pressures confirmed they are within specs and if so you could have a faulty sensor giving false readings or a harness problem for the sensor. If that checks good and you have low pressure there are other internal problems with the transmission. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you check the pressures? We changed the oil about 20,000 miles ago. It does not have the other code. Only has the P0897 code with no letters. Is it possibly for the oil to be bad that quickly? If so what would cause that? I thought the service with transynd is 50,000
Thanks for the update. If the transmission has an internal problem it could break down the oil faster or a fault in the harness and sensor giving wrong readings, or a potential software problem requireing updates to the TCM. Let me see if I have the test info for that model transmission in my files.
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC)
1000 AND 2000 PRODUCT FAMILIES TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL—ALLISON 4
th
GENERATION
CONTROLS
DTC REFERENCE TABLES
Table 5–4. Gear Ratio
RangeClose RatioWide Ratio
13.10:13.51:121.81:11.90:131.41:11.44:141.00:11.00:150.71:10.74:160.61:10.64:1R–4.49:1–5.09:1
Table 5–5. Main Pressure Schedule
RangeMain Pressure @ 600 rpmMain Pressure @ 2100 rpm
Forward/Reverse Converter with Main Mod Active (viewable in Allison DOC™)590–720 kPa (85–105 psi)634–758 kPa (92–110 psi)Forward Converter with Main Mod Inactive700–1380 kPa (101–200 psi)1515–1795 kPa (220–260 psi)Forward Lockup with Main Mod Active*510–627 kPa (74–91 psi)Forward Lockup with Main Mod Inactive*1000–1170 kPa (145–170 psi)Neutral/Park with Main Mod Active590–720 kPa (85–105 psi)Neutral/Park with Main Mod Inactive800–1655 kPa (130–240 psi)1515–1795 kPa (220–260 psi)
*Medium duty gasoline engines only.
Table 5–6. Allison DOC™ For PC–Service Tool Internal Mode Switch (IMS) Status
Selector PositionABCPNeutral Start
POFFONONOFFONROFFOFFONONOFFNONOFFONOFFOND555ONOFFOFFONOFF*M344OFFOFFOFFOFFOFF1223OFFONOFFONOFFBlocked111ONONOFFOFFOFF
When using a DVOM to check the IMS switch status of A, B, C, and P switches, note that the physical switch states are the opposite of Allison DOC™ For PC–Service Tool status shown above.When using a DVOM to check the switch state of Neutral Start (NS), the switch state will be the same as the Allison DOC™ For PC–Service Tool status shown above.The IMS Switch has four positions available in forward. Therefore, one range position will be omitted at the selector. The omitted position can be 2
nd
, 3
rd
, or 4
th
, depending upon chosen calibration.*M mode allows tap-up tap-down feature functionally between 1
st
through 6
th
ranges.
Do you have the Allison diagnostic software to plug into this with? I recommend repfashing the TCM and seeing if the problem resolves. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I am just using a snap on pro link iq scanner
Thanks for the update.
. Oil Life Monitor. The TRANS SERVICE indicator will be illuminated,
denoting a required change of the transmission fluid, when the remaining fluid
life reaches approximately 2 percent (the parameter begins at 100 percent
moving downward towards the lowest threshold). The TRANS SERVICE
indicator will be lit steadily upon each initialization of the TCM, and will remain
on steady for approximately two minutes after the initial selection of a drive
range, until service is performed and the indicator is reset.
The TRANS SERVICE indicator can be reset with the Allison DOCTM
For
PC–Service Tool. It may also be reset by selecting N­D­N­D­N­R­N on the
shift selector, pausing briefly (less than 3 seconds) between each selector
movement, with the ignition on and the engine not running. More details are
provided in applicable Allison service literature for your specific transmission
model.
Failure to perform maintenance and reset the TRANS SERVICE indicator
within the next 100 hours of transmission operation will result in the illumination
of the TRANS SERVICE light (in addition to the TRANS SERVICE light). Any
time this light is illuminated, the TCM will register a diagnostic code, which will
require the use of Allison DOCTM
For PC–Service Tool to clear the code.
Filter Life Monitor. The TRANS SERVICE indicator will flash beginning
with the first TCM initialization after reaching the time and mileage parameters,
indicating that the filter has reached the end of its designed life. The indicator
will continue to flash for two minutes after D (Drive) has been selected.
Thereafter, the indicator will illuminate and flash upon each TCM initialization,
continuing to flash for two minutes after the selection of D (Drive) each time,
until service is performed and the indicator is reset.
For
PC–Service Tool. It may also be reset by selecting N­R­N­R­N­D­N on the
model.
Failure to perform maintenance and reset the TRANS SERVICE indicator after
an additional 100 hours of transmission operation will result in the illumination
of the CHECK TRANS light (in addition to the TRANS SERVICE light). Any
require the use of Allison DOCTM
For PC–Service Tool to clear the code.
In addition to viewing diagnostic codes, the Allison DOCTM
For PC–Service
Tool may also be used to display the amount of transmission operation from
the initial service indication until the service reset.
Hi, Did you get this resolved? I wanted to follow up to see what you found and if my information was helpful to you or if you still needed more help? Let me know and I will get this question closed out for you if you don't need further help with this. Please feel free to rate or accept if you found my information helpful as that is how the experts receive credit for their time helping on the site.