Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I drive a 98 UD 1800 for work. One of the drivers did not know

I drive a 98 UD 1800 for work. One of the drivers did not know how to drive a clutch. He would hit the accelerator before letting out the clutch. Now the clutch does not engage until it is at the top of the pedal. Also, I have noticed the distinct smell of burning clutch after driving the truck with a load. I can't seem to be able to explain to work the importance of having the clutch rebuilt. I guess what I need is an explanation that I can give them on what will eventually happen if the problem is not addressed. Our mechanic said it would take him two days, and a clutch kit is 500.00. What are the possibilities of a problem driving on the hills around Seattle or on the highway. Thank You for your input, Brett XXXXX Farm boy that used to drive water trucks with 5 speed splits

Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

The clutch is currently slipping. That's why you smell that smell. Eventually this truck will leave you stranded. As it continues to slip, it will eventually slip enough the truck will not move at all. The problem will also be worse on steep hills. I would highly recommend having the clutch rebuilt or replace.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.