Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  worked on, Gmc, Macks, Freight liner,Mercedes Benz,,Ford, sterling
6825259

Hi there im currently working on 2008 intl. prostar with high

Customer Question

Hi there i'm currently working on 2008 intl. prostar with high pressure in the cooling system,loosing coolant trough the overflow tank. wont build pressure until water temp reaches 150F, then the driver side radiator hose is all fat and hard,touch both radiator pipes and they are cold...how to know if is the radiator the one is restricted
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Wayne :

Hi I'm Wayne

Wayne :

I will help you with this

Wayne :

Good Morning

Wayne :

Have you checked your air compressor

Wayne :

may have a bad head gasket in there , and pumping pressure in cooling system

Wayne :

remov discharge line on compressor, run and see if still does it

Customer:

i did that yesterday, also i run it with the pressure tested attached to radiator and as I said,did not generate pressure until temp reached 150. it was running at 0 psi...got warm and quick high pressure in radiator almost to the red. the question is why my radiator tubes were cold,lt and rt side

Wayne :

Hi Thank you for that

Wayne :

you replace w/pump and thermostat

Wayne :

that leaves a blocked radiator, or a head gasket starting to leak

Wayne :

get a bottle of gas test at auto paarts store

Wayne :

pour into radiator , see if you are geting gases in cooling system

Wayne :

run it for 5-10 min

Customer:

hi,thanks for your help. please tell me more about this gas test. first time i heard of it

Wayne :

OK,

Wayne :

Yes go to auto parts store ask them for a bottle of gas test , you think you have a head gasket leaking

Wayne :

pour that in radiator, let it circulate , then you test with a test strip in the kit

Wayne :

very easy to use

Customer:

have to mention that yesterday when the pressure increased in cooling system it developed a warning code about the dozer on the dpf. the engine shut down and as i wanted to restart the engine it sounds like hydro locked. i relieve the pressure and engine started. i will get some of that gas test and will test the head gasket

Wayne :

Yes That sounds as you do have a head gasket leaking

Customer:

also i find out that 7 mos. ago this engine was inframed due to a injector failure...some how put a hole on top of one piston,oil,fuel and coolant got mix...think radiator was never flushedor cleaned

Wayne :

Thank you for that

Wayne :

Start with gas test, if that pass, have radiator boiled out

Wayne :

But I think it is going to be head gasket

Customer:

i sure will. what is the estimated time to r/replace cyl head gasket? and what will be the torque specs for cyl head bolts,injector hold down,and rockers?

Wayne :

time is approx. 8 hours

Wayne :

have you ever done this before

Wayne :

it is not a easy job, for a 1st time person,

Wayne :

plus damage can result to engine

Customer:

whats the recommendations.

Wayne :

bring it to a repair shop, not dealer they are $$$$$

Customer:

i did an inframe myself but cant remenber the torque specs

Wayne :

let me look up torque

Customer:

thanks

Wayne :

Head bolts are 150 Ft Lbs , then 300 Ft Lbs

Wayne :

rocker shaft bolt 50Ft Lbs

Wayne :

injector clamp is 59 Ft Lbs

Customer:

thanks for the info. one last question Wayne. it may be possible that radiator is plugged and thats the reason why both radiator pipes are cold? or something else is blocking water circulation

Wayne :

radiator plugged

Customer:

OK,thanks. im removing radiator out first and get it cleaned,then hopefully works and solves the restriction and high pressure. and hope i dont have to remove the cyl head.

Wayne :

Ok sounds good

Wayne, Journeyman
Experience: worked on, Gmc, Macks, Freight liner,Mercedes Benz,,Ford, sterling
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi there Wayne,I have a new question for you. would you have the schematics for a CAT C10?. I'm trying to see if I can swap a02 engine

for a 97

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alberto

What diagrams you need
let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have one cat C10 97 that I'm replacing with a 2002 C10 as well. difference is the pin numbers... 40 against 70

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I think I may have that
It will take a lit bit to look for it
I will get back to you on it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the engine serial number begin with 3CS

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alberto,

Just check I do not have the pin out for that
But here is a site you can go to and down load it Free

http://www.gobookee.org/cat-c12-70-pin-ecm-diagram/