Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

I have a 2000 International 4700 with a t444e. The engine will

Customer Question

I have a 2000 International 4700 with a t444e. The engine will start, runs smooth, will run at load for about 5-6 minuts and then shuts down like you turned the key off. The only fault code I am getting is in the inactive section anmd it is 222 (brake circuit fault?).

You can wait 30 minutes and the truck will start back up.

I cleared the codes, checked to make sure everything cleared, started the truck, waited for it to die. Fault code 222 came back up.

Would 222 cause the electronics to shut the engine down, and if so, is this a quick fix. Am I missing something?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Andy3221 :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to try and help you resolve your problem! Hopefully, together, we can get to the bottom of this !

Andy3221 :

Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please? And no . 222 will not cause this problem .

JACUSTOMER-xwdxn2u7- :

YH228562

Andy3221 :

I would first start by checking the fuses at the battery box to make sure they have good connectivity with the fuse holders . They were known to be problematic in those years ! If those are ok , try reseating the fuses and see if that fixes the problem ! Let me know ! thanks !

JACUSTOMER-xwdxn2u7- :

I checked the fuses, and seteated them in the holders. I started the truck and pulled the fuse and the truck died. I started and ran it at 2000 RPM for about 5 minutes, then it just died, again, like you turned the key off.

JACUSTOMER-xwdxn2u7- :

Tried to restart after it died and no luck, it will turn over, but does not start.

JACUSTOMER-xwdxn2u7- :

A liitle more information.

JACUSTOMER-xwdxn2u7- :

Turned ignition key on, pressed engine diagnostic button. Oil/water light flashes once, followed by warn engine light flashing once for three times indicating code 111, oil/water light flashes twice, folowed warn engine light flashing twice for three times indicating code 222, oil/water light flashes once again, followed by warn engine light flashing 6 times, then 2 times, then 6 times again, indicating code 626, oil water light flashes three times indicating end of message.

Andy3221 :

Ok thanks for info ! Will have to look up code and get back to you later this evening! Must go to work ! Thanks for your patience!

Andy3221 :

Please check the fuses in the fuse holders sitting above the batteries in the battery box .These are for the ECM clean power feed . If the fuses are loose in these holders , they will cause heat and intermittent connection causing the symptoms that you are seeing. Please have a look there to start . You may find some melted or loose or even dirty connections there ! Good luck ! Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this one! Got tied up at home with other affairs!

JACUSTOMER-xwdxn2u7- :

I've checked the fuses - all good and they seat tightly into the holders. I think the 626 code came from when I pulled a fuse and the truck died. I cleared all codes. I ran the truck yersterday morning for 5-6 minutes until it died again. Sometimes it restarts, sometimes it doesn't. No fault codes after it dies. I am thinking it might be a CPS, so I went ahead and ordered one to try.