dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Contractor
Experience:  Road Service mechanic for Volvo Construction.

I have a fault code on my volvo VN volvo code mid 146 sid 250

I have a fault code on my volvo VN volvo code mid 146 sid 250 fmi 9 I am sure this is regarding the A/C
How do I fix this?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to try and help. The 146 stands for the Electrical climate controller for the air conditioner, or the computer for the a/c. The sid 250 is telling you there is a problem with the ecu or bus line communications between the computers. This might be a defective computer, broken wire, or bad component. The 9 is telling you at what level your fault is at. This level would be the items mentioned. To repair, you will need to take it to a Volvo shop or find someone with access to vcads to read info from the computers. In addition to that you will need to test components and verify the wiring harness is intact. This can be a tricky problem to figure out, in some cases when I'm able, I will swap out components with know good ones after ohming the bus lines and checking for power and grounds to the computers. SO make sure you verify the fuses and relays are all working properly before going further into testing. I don't have specifics on your truck since I work on the off road equipment for Volvo. Thanks, Dan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay Dan on my reply...

I had a local AC technician check it.. I also asked them to check if there is any leaks they said they did not find any leaks and the system is full of freon. But when they reset the computer for the AC the AC start to blow cold air again.. Unfortunately after 7 days the AC stops on giving cold air again., since it works when you reset it. How do you reset the computer for the AC? and I also want to check the relays how do you check if its still a good relay?

Hello, thanks for the reply back. The computer should reset when the key is turned off, or disconnect the battery for 60 seconds. A possible cause may be a faulty relay or a sensor reading telling the system to shut off until it is reset. I would make sure the condenser is clean and has good air flow. It is hard to know what it is turning it off without actively monitoring the system. With regards XXXXX XXXXX you can verify that power is flowing from either 87 or 87a on the relay depending on the circuit design. My position on this is to replace the relay with new ones. A weak coil can be intermittent and cause major headaches when troubleshooting. If your truck is using the resistor style black relays, replace it with a diode style relay. They don't run as hot and last longer. I don't have schematics for this vehicle so I cannot help with the specifics, sorry. Thanks, Dan.
dieseldan55, Contractor
Experience: Road Service mechanic for Volvo Construction.
Thank you for your generosity and positive rating. I hope I was able to assist you. Thanks, Dan