sevn103
sevn103, Journeyman
Experience:  dealer mechanic for over 14 yrs.
20119161

Hello. I have a 2003 International 4300 tow truck with a dt466

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2003 International 4300 tow truck with a dt466 engine. The engine light has come on and we are getting an engine code 108 and 164. Both codes are thrown as soon as switch is turned on even after clearing code. (ie truck does not have to be run.)
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  sevn103 replied 2 years ago.
I'm guessing you are using a generic scanner, if so what make is it? Also does it give you any more info, description, pid Sid fmi numbers with it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using an OTC 34`8 HD Reader.

Codes are:

128 108 4 PID

128 164 4 PID

Barometric Pressure voltage below normal or shorted low

Engine # 1 Injector control pressure voltage Below normal or shorted low.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Code 1 128 PID/SID 108 FMI 4

code2 128 PID/SID 164 FMI 4

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Sent in more info as requested. Recieved no reply. It has been over two hours.
Expert:  sevn103 replied 2 years ago.
I can cross these over when I get back to shop, or we can see if another expert can help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lets see if another expert can help. Thanks.

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  sevn103 replied 2 years ago.

this is to test the barometric psi sensor

Barometric Absolute Pressure Sensor and Circuit Diagnostics

Connector Voltage Checks (check with sensor connector (1808) disconnected, ignition key on)

Test

Spec.

Comments

A to gnd

<0.25V

Ground circuit, no voltage expected.

B to gnd

5V ± 0.5

V REF check with KEY ON, if voltage not within spec., check V REF circuit for short to gnd or open.

C to gnd

<0.25V

If voltage is >0.25V, signal wire is shorted to V REF or battery

Connector Checks to Chassis Ground (check with sensor connector (1808) disconnected, positive battery cable disconnected and ignition key off)

Test

Spec.

Comments

A to gnd

<5Ω

Resistance to chassis ground, check with key off, > 5Ω the harness is open

B to gnd

>1kΩ

Resistance <1kΩ indicates a short to ground

C to gnd

>1kΩ

Harness Resistance Checks (check with breakout box installed on chassis harness only)

Test

Spec.

Comments

11 to A

<5Ω

Resistance >5Ω indicates wires are open

3 to B

<5Ω

Resistance >5Ω indicates wires are open

29 to C

<5Ω

Resistance >5Ω indicates wires are open

Test (+) 29 to (-) 11

Operational Voltage Checks (check with breakout box installed in line with the ECM)

Voltage

in Hg

kPa

Comments

4.89

31.0905

105

High atmospheric pressure.

4.60

29.61

100

Normal atmospheric pressure at sea level.

2.60

17.766

60

Normal atmospheric pressure at 10,000 feet.

Diagnostic Trouble Code Description

151= Signal voltage was >4.95V for more than 1.0 sec.

152 = Signal voltage was <1.0V for more than 1.0 sec.

Expert:  sevn103 replied 2 years ago.

this is to test the icp sensor

Injection Control Pressure (ICP) Sensor Voltage Checks (check with key-ON engine-OFF)

Install the 3 wire breakout tee between the ICP sensor and harness connector. View ICP VOLTAGE using the Continuous Monitor test found under the diagnostics menu in MASTER DIAGNOSTICS. If the circuit has an active fault according to the voltage level (Code124 <0.039V, Code 125 >4.9V, Code 332 >1.625V), complete the following steps. Tests must be performed in order.

Test Condition

Expected Voltage

Comments

Sensor Disconnected

0V

If voltage >0.039V, check signal circuit for short to V REF or B+.

Measure voltage from PIN B to gnd using a DMM.

5V ± 0.5

If voltage is >5.5V, check V REF for short to B+. If voltage is <4.5V, check V REF for open or short to Ground.

0.5 kΩ jumper installed between the GREEN and BLUE pins of the breakout tee.

5V

If voltage is <4.9V, check signal circuit for open circuit or short to ground. Remove positive battery cable. Measure resistance from PIN C to Ground (spec >500Ω) and from PIN C to PIN 16 (spec <5Ω) using a breakout box to determine if short to ground or open is in the harness.

Standard jumper installed between the BLUE, GREEN, and BLACK pins of the breakout tee.

0V

If voltage is >0.039V, check ground circuit for resistance. Measure resistance between PIN A and PIN 19 (spec <5Ω) using a breakout box to determine if resistance is in the harness.

Replace the sensor if the code is active and the expected results are obtained with all the sensor tests. The sensor is not at fault if one or more of the sensor tests does not produce the expected results. See ICP Sensor Troubleshooting Flowchart .

Continued on Next Page

OPERATIONAL VOLTAGE CHECKS

MD Voltage: Signal (GREEN tee) to gnd

Spec.

Check with breakout tee installed, key ON

Voltage

psi

Comments

0.15 to 0.3V

0

Atmospheric pressure with key-ON engine-OFF

1.0V

580

Minimum at engine cranking speed

0.74 - 0.81V

425 - 475

Normal warm low idle

3.33V

2550

Snap accel

Diagnostic Trouble Code Description

124 = Signal voltage was <0.039 volts for more than 1.0 sec.

125 = Signal voltage was >4.9 volts for more than 1.0 sec.

332 = Signal voltage was >1.625 volts, ignition key ON, engine OFF (1160 psi).

ICP Sensor Circuit Specifications

CONNECTOR VOLTAGE CHECKS (check with sensor disconnected from harness, key ON)

Test Points

Spec.

Comments

A to gnd

0V

Signal ground, no voltage expected

B to gnd

5±0.5V

If voltage not in spec., Vref circuit shorted to gnd or B+

C to gnd

<0.25V

If voltage > spec., wire shorted to Vref or B+

CONNECTOR CHECKS TO CHASSIS GROUND (check with sensor connector disconnected, positive battery cable disconnected, and key OFF)

Test Points

Spec.

Comments

A to gnd

< 5Ω

> 5Ω, indicates circuit is open

B to gnd

> 500Ω

< 500Ω, indicates short to ground

C to gnd

> 1kΩ

< 1kΩ, indicates short to ground

HARNESS RESISTANCE CHECKS (check with breakout box installed on chassis side only)

Test Points

Spec.

Comments

19 to A

<5Ω

If >5Ω indicates ground wire open

40 to B

<5Ω

If >5Ω indicates V REF wire open

16 to C

<5Ω

If >5Ω indicates signal wire open

Extended Description

Function

The International engine control system includes an Injection Control Pressure Sensor. The ECM measures the signal from the ICP sensor to determine the Injection Control Pressure as the engine is running to modulate the Injection Control Pressure Regulator. This is a closed loop function which means the ECM continuously monitors and adjusts for ideal Injection Control Pressure which is determined by operating conditions such as load, speed, and temperature.

The ECM monitors the ICP signal to determine if the performance of the hydraulic system is satisfactory. During engine operation, if the ECM recognizes that the pressure reading is lower or higher than the value that was commanded, the ECM will set a Diagnostic Trouble Code. This strategy is also used during the On Demand tests, commanded by the EST and referred to as the Engine Running tests.

Operation

The Injection Control Pressure Sensor is a variable capacitance sensor that is supplied with a 5V reference voltage at terminal B from ECM terminal 40. The ICP sensor is also supplied with a return circuit (ground) at terminal A from ECM terminal 19. The ICP sensor sends a signal from terminal C of the sensor to ECM terminal 16.

The ICP signal voltage changes in direct proportion to the injection control pressure.

ECM Diagnostics

The ECM continuously monitors the voltage signal of the ICP sensor to determine if the signal is within an expected range. If the signal voltage is higher or lower than expected, the ECM will set a Diagnostic Trouble Code. The ECM will then ignore the ICP sensor signal and will use a preset value determined by engine operating conditions. If the ignition key is shut off, the code will become inactive.

ICP Diagnostic Trouble Codes can be retrieved using the Electronic Service Tool (EST) or by reading the Diagnostic Trouble Code flashes from the amber and red ENGINE lamps, see .

If the ignition key is shut off, the code will become inactive. ICP codes will cause the ECM to illuminate the amber ENGINE lamp and the odometer to display the message WARN ENG.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 124

ATA Code, PID 164, FMI 4

ICP signal Out of Range LOW

When code 124 is active the amber ENGINE lamp is illuminated and the odometer displays the message WARN ENG.

An Out of Range LOW code 124 will be set by the ECM if the signal voltage is less than 0.039V for more than 1.0 seconds.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 124 may be set due to an open or short to ground on the signal circuit, a defective sensor or an open V REF circuit.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 125

ATA Code, PID 164, FMI 3

ICP Signal Out Of Range HIGH

When code 125 is active the amber ENGINE lamp is illuminated and the odometer displays the message WARN ENG.

An Out of Range HIGH code 125 will be set by the ECM if the signal voltage is greater than 4.9V for more than 1.0 seconds.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 125 may be set by an open return circuit (ground), short to a voltage source on the ICP signal circuit or a defective sensor.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 332

ATA Code, PID 164, FMI 13

Injection Control Pressure above Specification with Engine Off

When code 332 is active the amber ENGINE lamp is illuminated and the odometer displays the message WARN ENG.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 332 will be set by the ECM if the signal from the ICP sensor is higher than expected with the engine not running. If the ECM detects this fault, the ECM will ignore the ICP signal and will operate the IPR with fixed values determined from engine operating conditions.

Code 332 may be caused by a defective sensor or a biased circuit.