Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Chronic diarrhea for 5 months. IBS, Ulcerative Colotis. Now

Chronic diarrhea for 5 months. IBS, Ulcerative Colotis. Now have bronchitis, but just started augmentin last week. Pepto, then Imodium not working. Some recurrent loss of fecal control. Horrible rash from that. Down to 121 lbs from 147. F. 5'3". Age 58.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok

The treatment of fecal incontinence entails;

1) Biofeedback; Pelvic floor exercises with biofeedback are beneficial when combined with the addition of dietary modifications. Biofeedback educates regarding pelvic floor coordination, recognition of sensory thresholds, and conditioning of the pelvic musculature, and it helps develop improved pelvic floor habits.

2) Dietary modification: a food diary may be useful to detect offensive items, such as citrus or spicy foods, caffeine, and alcohol, that may be associated with incontinence. Avoiding these may decrease the irritant load to the rectum.

3) Medications; The two most commonly used drugs are loperamide (Imodium) and diphenoxylate with atropine. Loperamide is currently the treatment of choice because it not only thickens the stool but also has been shown to increase anal sphincter tone and improve continence mechanisms. Since it is not working you may try diphenoxylate with atropine.

4) Sacral nerve stimulation.

Following investigations are needed for the identifying the cause, if this has been going on for more than 2-3 weeks;

1) Endoanal ultrasound,

2) MRI,

3) Defecography,

4) Anorectal manometry

5) Anorectal electrophysiology testing.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. You've been very helpful. I will tell my doctor.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.