Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I think that I may have but my test at the doctor said that

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I think that I may have syphilis but my test at the doctor said that it was negative ltwo years ago before I had my daughter but I wanted to know if syphilis causes a foul odor down their???
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: I have 4 spots on my leg. I went to the dermatologist and he said that my sore on my left leg is non infectious but I have had this odor problem all my live and I work in a healtgcare setting and its embarrassing
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a learning disability
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 days ago.

What did your vaginal swab show?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don't know but I was informed that I am std free before I had my daughter

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms are suggestive of bacterial vaginosis. This is unlikely to be syphilis which does not cause smell. And a STD screening also had been negative for you.

Treatment of the bacterial vaginosis is cumbersome. Following are the treatment modalities;

1) Metronidazole (flagyl) and clindamycin have been the drugs of choice.

2) Azithromycin too is effective, especially if there is recurrence or persistence. Secnidazole, ornidazole and tinidazole are also used in the case of antibiotic resistance.

3) Antiseptics as vaginal suppositories;

a) benzydamine,

b) chlorhexidine,

c) dequalinium chloride,

d) polyhexamethylene biguanide,

e) povidone iodine

f) hydrogen peroxide

4) Probiotics

5) Stop douching or bubble bath, if you do.

6) Avoid liquid soaps and body wash.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 days ago.
Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.