Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have had tinnitus for as as I can remember. It never

Customer Question

I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. It never bothered me much. But recently it is starting to interfere with my hearing. But more than that, I "hear" music, parts of music, music I've never heard before and worst of all, REPETITIVE - small parts over and over and over. It is not at all like having a song stuck in your head. It often keeps me from focusing on a task and paying attention during a conversation. Neurology sent me to psychiatrist (he didn't want to see me any more, presumably because I know that it is not really there.) Could this be some form of tinnitus? Many of the meds I take have tinnitus as a possible side effect. This is really bothering me! Do you have any suggestions?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 11 days ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Did you consult an ENT specialist for the tinnitus? Was any hearing test done? What was the result? What treatment was suggested?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I had written a lengthy response but somehow I lost it. I'm just going to see an otolaryngologist and go from there.

Dear customer,

I am sorry that you had to face this internet error. Consulting an otolaryngologist and having hearing tests done is the first step in evaluating the cause for the tinnitus. Based on the cause further management can be planned.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
About the internet error, it is what it is. Thank you. If you have the opportunity this week, you could send me a reminder to making an appointment. The really strange thing is that in my left ear I feel like I have exceptional hearing. Ever since I was a little girl - I would cry when a loud noise was present. I have to put my hands on my ears when I flush the toilet at a fast food place. When I have migraine, I can hear sounds in the house that no one else can hear- like a fan on in another room or a clock ticking. Sounds like this have always bothered me

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

This is most definitely due to a hearing abnormality. With audiometry test we can know the possible cause. You must have this test done. Please fix an appointment with an ENT specialist.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. I will.

You are welcome!!

Hopefully this will lead to relief of tinnitus.

Take care.