Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My lower legs are swelling during the day and going down

Customer Question

My lower legs are swelling during the day and going down after being elevated or bed rest. I am drinking plenty of water. On my feet a lot during the day. Ankles and shins are sensitive to touch. Thanks!
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: worse when I am on my feet a lot, improvement when I remove shoes and elevate legs.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have lost 70 lbs last year and a half. Doctor has taken me off high blood pressure and high cholesterol medications. diabetes runs in my family
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Swelling of legs on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

You may need blood work and colored doppler study of the lower limbs to evaluate the cause.

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

Your symptoms are most likely due to postural edema (due to prolonged standing).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 days ago.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.