The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile Emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician.
37289694

Thank you for being there. I am a veterinarian who has just

Hello, thank you for being there. I am a veterinarian who has just diagnosed leptospirosis in a canine patient. This patient is in severe renal failure and began doxycycline treatment yesterday. My concern is that one of my vet assistants who also does dog boarding in her home had this dog under her care in the last few weeks. She is 4 mo. pregnant, not showing any symptoms, but we need to know if she should do anything at this point since lepto can cause stillbirths in humans. Thank you for yor advice.
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: No, just a complete medical record on the canine patient.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. This pregnant woman is very healthy otherwise.

Welcome to Justanswer.com. I am an Emergency physician with over 25 years miultidisciplinary experience. I am going to be your expert in this question.
However, I would like a few more information
Did she have direct contacts with the dog?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
the dog was in her home, she took direct care of the dog. The dog urinated on the floor so she may have come into direct contact with the urine.

She is definitely exposed and would be considered a first class risk.

The spirochete that causes leptospirosis is transmitted through exposure of mucous membranes or abraded skin to the body fluid of an infected animal or by exposure to any surface contaminated with the urine of an animal.

It has also been widely noted that the exposure to professionals probably accounts for 30-50% of human cases of leptospirosis and the main groups at affected include farm workers and veterinarians.

Leptospirosis occurring during pregnancy is very dangerous as it leads to spontaneous abortion especially in the first 2 trimesters.

Screening is available in most laboratories especially those in teaching / tertiary facilities. The most utilized test are

Leptospira IgM ELISA or IgM/IgG enzyme-linked immunoabsorbent assay (ELISA),

Also Rapid tests kits usable in the field for these are available

Real-time DNA polymerase chain reaction (PCR) of blood can also be done as screen

I will advise her to get in touch with her Ob-gyn and arrange for any of these screening methods

Thank you for making it Justanswer.com. Please remember to click the accept button and rate me before you close. If there are any other clarification you would like, please let us know.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thank you very much.