Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have specialized in common problems for men, women, children, and the elderly.
72350808

Pain in mid-back region, both left & right quadrants, pain

Customer Question

pain in mid-back region, both left & right quadrants, pain in the upper breastbone area (at conjunction of ribcage) as well.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No - male, stressed, age approx 26 yrs
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: family member had pancreatic cancer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

Your Doctor: I am a Family Medicine physician, trained and board-certified in the US with active licenses and certification, and 10 years of experience in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, and Obstetrics and Gynecology. I have advanced training in Integrative Medicine & Functional Medicine, Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-versed in Alternative Medicine. So far, 99.5% of the Justanswer community of customers has found my answers helpful, and I currently have the honor of being the highest rated clinician on the site! I will do my best to win over your approval as well!

Excellent Reviews: For your review, here is a direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

To You: I have read your post and your query about your body pain. I'm sorry for the stress this must be causing you! I can imagine you must be quite concerned, and I’m glad you’ve decided to get information from the experts, instead of randomly online. Has this every happened before? Any idea what possibilities could have triggered it, or was it straight out of the blue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
think this is mostly stress-related > have had ongoing stomach issues and thought it might be Crohn's, an ulcer or possibly
hernia?

Have there been triggers for your stress recently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not the patient - I'm a friend

I see. Wow, what a good friend. Do you think he/she has had increases in stress that are contributing to these symptoms? No other triggers that you know of?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Work load, job-related stress mainly.

We are seeing stress-related stomach issues more and more commonly recently. So, that is a possibility that is important to consider strongly, but it is also important to rule out any medical emergencies that could be causing such severe pain. Do you know of any risk for other potential causes for the pains?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
None

Do you know if your friend has tried antiinflammatories to treat his/her pain yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I suggested that! He has taken 150mg Zantac OTC...but it didn't help. Also suggested taking up to 300mg (I've had an ulcer and had to take 300mg twice a day at one time)...prefers to use non-prescription if possible...wondering if tumeric would add
to the pain at the ribcage if it is an ulcer. Can you advise?

Tumeric is thought to be helpful in some countries, but generally, we recommend some of the following pain relief options:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We work for a pharma company...he has taken Tylenol etc but again, no relief. More interested in trying to figure out what this actually is...I'm thinking hiatal hernia AND ulcer plus possible inflammation to the back. or more than one ulcer.

of course, that's the bot***** *****ne goal we all share - but I also feel terribly for his suffering and want to make sure he is not in agony! Poor thing. Another option to help calm down ulcer pain is Tumms, maalox and mylanta. Coating the ulcers can sometimes provide temporary relief from the constant acid production.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried already...he was actually in an ER this past weekend with this - waiting for an appointment to follow-up.

man, poor guy!

you're a great friend to be caring so much about him

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he's a good friend too...thank you for your advice

You're so very welcome! Are there any parts of our discussion about your posted question that you feel are missing to meet our goal of a 5-star review from you?