Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm not sure but I think my blood sugar dropped. How would I

Customer Question

I'm not sure but I think my blood sugar dropped. How would I know for sure?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: It's been ok. I gained 15 pounds. I normally feel great
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Like what? I've always had clean of health I'm due for blood work but my doctor is on vacation
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

What symptoms are you having that makes you think that your blood sugar has dropped?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I started feeling pressure on the back of my neck, really hot, anxious and light headed
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi I'm not sure if this an emergency
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But I don't want to go to the ER unecessarily
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, Dr. Love!!!!

The processing of the request for a phone call did not go through.

These symptoms could be related to a low blood sugar, but it does not include many common symptoms that are typical for a low blood sugar. In addition to feeling hot, most people with a drop in blood sugar notice profuse sweating. They also typically notice a very rapid heart rate.

Ultimately, the way that you would know for sure that your blood sugar has dropped is by checking your blood sugar when worrisome symptoms are present. There are home glucose monitors, which are primarily used by diabetics, but can also be used to detect low blood sugar. If you know someone with diabetes (family or friend) and can use their glucose monitor to check your blood sugar, then you can know with certainty.

Your symptoms do not sound bad enough to require being seen in the ER. if the loghtheadedness is so bad that you feel like you may pass out, that would require urgent attention, but otherwise, it would be fine to try to ease symptoms by drinking extra fluids.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I be concerned about the pressure in my head. I did start feeling rapid heat bet after but that could have been because I was concerned. I ate a banana and drank water and feel a little better but not completely better. Should I follow up with urgent care in the morning or it is not necessary since its the first time?

There is no r3eason to be concerned about the pressure in your head, other than it would be OK to take some acetaminophen. If you drink more fluids and feel better by the morning, there is no reason to be seen in Urgent Care. If you are continuing to feel bad, then it would be OK to be seen in Urgent Care in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you,

You are most welcome.

If we are done, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.