Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Is AMPK as good for you as touted? That's with the 3 enzymes

Customer Question

Is AMPK as good for you as touted? That's with the 3 enzymes berberine, quercetin and gynostemma.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not asked a doctor about it yet. I take meds for hypothyroid, Type 2 diabetes and anti-seizure pill from a brain injury.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take all of those daily. Not allergic to anything that I know of.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm currently obese. I have a strong heart.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I believe that you are referring to AMP activated protein kinase supplements which are purported to activate the body's own AMP protein kinase. There are various supplements of this type which are available in the market today even the ones which contain the 3 enzymes which you have mentioned. However NONE of these supplements have the scientific backing to support their claims, so far there has not been a significant peer reviwed study or trial which has indicated that this supplement actually works. YES the body does have AMP protein kinase which functions in a number of ways on the liver as well as pancreas, heart, skeletal muscle and also the adipose tissue and helps in regulating the body's metabolism BUT these supplements have NOT been shown to activate this particular enzymes in the body.

So in short there is NO evidence which shows that using these supplements which help you in losing weight or in optimizing your metabolism or even increasing the production of insulin by your pancreas. Secondly there is not enough data regarding its safety either, we dont know how it would react with certain medications such as diabetic medications as well as thyroid meds and it would be wise to avoid using this supplement at the moment.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/