Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

This likely seems like an odd question but I have for a time

Hi. This likely seems like an odd question but I have for a long time struggled with sinus infections. Generally take ten days of avelox and it goes away. This time it hasn't after two dosages. I obviously am worried it is something more serious. It's better than it was but my forehead still hurts - mainly on right side and I have full ache in head. So I guess infection is gone but headache lightly still there. Especially when I press on area. What are your thoughts?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

It can sometimes take 3 doses (up to 72 hours) for a response to occur after taking the antibiotic. Only if after taking 3 doses if the symptoms do not reduce, then a change in antibiotic may be considered. But you do seem to be having a response, and you are feeling better. Please take another dose and this will likely reduce your symptoms even further, with a decrease in the facial pain and headache.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry - I should have mentioned I am on my second TEN day dosage. I have seen an ENT before for sinuses as I do have problems but the pain seems to be more higher above near my hairline. I guess I am worried about it being a brain tumour or something more severe like that.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

OK. In that case I would recommend a change in antibiotics and consulting your primary care doctor for this. Without any other symptoms such as vomiting, neck pain/stiffness, visual disturbances, dizziness, loss of sensations or movements, or weight loss; you should not worry about brain tumor or anything serious. Also something serious will not cause a headache for only a few days; it will cause a chronic and severe headache. And you have consulted many doctors including an ENT before; so, if there was anything serious they would have detected it. Also a brain cancer would not respond even a little to an antibiotic.

Take care.

Did I answer your question?

Please reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. I know it's probably stupid to think but is a worry when I have this head pain. You're right though the antibiotics did help - just didn't completely clear it.

You are welcome!!

Glad that I could help.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).

It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Thank you.