Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

If someone has a TSH of 2.4 and a T4 of 4.7 and is

If someone has a TSH of 2.4 and a T4 of 4.7 and is symptomatic... would an Endocrinologist treat or "watch" for changes
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No medications and I had this test done last summer. I'm losing hair, weight gain (hair loss is at scalp and eyebrows)
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Renal stone this past October... that is it.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating neurological & all health conditions including thyroid diseases and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I can fully understand your concerns. I will reply to you very soon with more details. I may need to ask some questions to gather additional information related to your health concerns; I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Neuro Doctor

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) How many times you have had the thyroid test done, only once, or more times?

2) Are you planning on a repeat test now?

3) Are you also having other hypothyroid symptoms like constipation, or cold intolerance, tiredness, depressed like feeling etc?

Please let me know

Best Regards!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only had the test done once, have an appointment with a PCP in 2 weeks for lab work and weight gain , eyebrow loss and hair thinning loss in front as well as intermittent tiredness

Okay I see. Appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

As you may be already knowing the thyroid numbers you are having are overall within normal limits.

If we had another test done before this test or after this test then we can see in which direction the numbers are going, whether there is more and more reduction in the T4 and more and more increase in the TSH numbers, which if present will indicate hypothyroidism

You do have certain hypothyroid related symptoms

While your thyroid numbers are within normal limits based on the test report you have provided above but the T4 number of 4.7 is low normal, which may indicate you are in the process of developing hypothyroidism. If you have a previous number then we could have found out whether the earlier number was more than 4.7, if it is so, then it can indicate the T4 level is decreasing and this is indicative of hypothyroidism. And parallely the TSH number too will increase if there is hypothyroidism

I see you are going to see your PCP in the near future, I am very confident the PCP will arrange for a follow up test and it will help us more in this regard. If the numbers are perfectly within normal limits then we need to evaluate for any other possibilities that may be causing your symptoms, on the otherhand if the numbers are pointing towards hypothyroidism then it needs to be treated appropriately. Also with borderline T4 number (low normal number of 4.7) – even if this number does not fall down further during the next testing (means remains around the same level), and if there are no other conditions identified to explain your new symptoms then your dr may still decide you to treat for hypothyroidism – to give the benefit of doubt in your favour, because you have low normal T4 number and symptoms that are suspicious for hypothyroidism, so in these circumstances treating you for hypothyroidism is the prudent thing to do.

Wishing you the best health! All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Neuro Doctor

Just wanted to clarify on the T4 number of 4.7, the numbers for certain blood tests may vary from lab to lab due to different technology or methodology that are used, the number you have mentioned above for T4 of 4.7, can be low normal for some labs, or low for some other labs, one or otherway there is certainly suspicion for hypothyroidism in you.

Hi, Do you have any further questions?

Hi, Please let me know if you have any additional questions, or if you want to discuss this further.

And Please do not forget to kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health questions, and this is the only way I will be credited for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!